Waagh. So I guess I always saw the U.S. as a high-social-safety-net country, what with all the soup kitchens and homeless shelters and such. These systems that are meant to cater the poor are preetty terrible, though. :(
It's sometimes difficult for me (coming from a comfortable middle-class background) to see the beauty in some of the practical ways in which Christians (and non-Christians) can live that effectively sidestep the system, such as sharing an abode with others and making one's own clothes. For one who's been taught to consume all of his/her life, who's being loan sharked or who is stuck in the credit card debt cycle or who's racked up a huge bill from rent-to-own products, how freeing must the new way of life seem!
1 comment:
Waagh. So I guess I always saw the U.S. as a high-social-safety-net country, what with all the soup kitchens and homeless shelters and such. These systems that are meant to cater the poor are preetty terrible, though. :(
It's sometimes difficult for me (coming from a comfortable middle-class background) to see the beauty in some of the practical ways in which Christians (and non-Christians) can live that effectively sidestep the system, such as sharing an abode with others and making one's own clothes. For one who's been taught to consume all of his/her life, who's being loan sharked or who is stuck in the credit card debt cycle or who's racked up a huge bill from rent-to-own products, how freeing must the new way of life seem!
Post a Comment